Close Mobile Menu


What is a Visa?


Korean law defines a visa as a “recommendatory action by a consul to apply for entry by a foreigner.”

Those not meeting the necessary requirements may be denied entry into the country. 


Not all foreigners receive the same visa: the proper visa will be issued depending on the particular situation of the individual.

If you enter Korea on B-1 or B-2 tourist visa (an automatic visa agreement between many countries and Korea), you will need to change your visa type to a proper student visa before your school program begins.

Students are strongly advised to consult the Immigration Contact Center by dialing 1345 without the area code.


In general, international students are required to apply for a D-2 (General Student) visa.



Student Visa

Period of Stay Visa Type Eligibility Required for Entry Required for Departure
More than 91 days



- Bachelor's Degree (D-2-2)

- Master's Degree (D-2-3)

- Doctor's Degree (D-2-4)

- Research Process (D-2-5, defferent from E-3 Research)

- Exchange Student Program (D-2-6)

- Visiting Student Program (D-2-8)

- Passport

- Visa

- Passport

- Alien Registration Card

- Re-entry Permission from Immigration Office (if leaving for more than 1 year)

More than 91 days

Language Training


- A person planning to study Korean language at a university or a language institute that is a part of a university

- Passport

- Visa

- Passport

- Alien Registration Card

- Re-entry Permission from Immigration Office (if leaving for more than 1 year)

Less than 90 days

Temporary Visit


- A person going to study for a shor period of time for general training, collecting academic datum or for other similar reasons

- Passport

- Visa

- Passport

* Student visa can either be obtained at a Korean consulate abroad, or students can change their visa status to a student visa through the local Immigration Office in Korea.


1. If you have a C-3 visa or a type of short-term visa instead of a D-2 visa, you must change your visa status within 30 days after arriving in Korea.

2. There are two types of visas: a single entry and a multiple entry visa. If you want to travel abroad during your stay in Korea, we suggest you get a multiple entry type. The embassy or a consulate will issue you a single entry visa if you do not specifically request otherwise.

3. If you want to take Korean language classes, you can apply for a D-4 Visa.



'Certificate of Admission(표준입학허가서)' for the D-2 Visa


  • After international students have been admitted and paid the tuition fee, they will be able to receive their Certificate of Admission(COA).

    This must be taken to the Korea Embassy or Consulate in your country to apply for a D-2 visa.


Basic required documents for D-2 visa application


  • Documents may be added or exempted as needed at the discretion of the consulate in charge of individual review processes.

  • Please visit the Hi Korea e-Government for Foreigners website for the most up-to-date visa application checklist.

    2. 1. Passport and a copy of it
    4. 2. Application form for Visa Issuance
    6. 3. Fee
    8. 4. 1 color photo (3.5㎝ X 4.5㎝)
      1.      - Taken within the last 6 months
      2.      - White background
    10. 5. Certificate of Admission(COA) and Business Registration Certificate of Yonsei University (both documents will be provided by the university)
    12. 6. Medical check-up record for Tuberculosis(changed as of 2020.04.01.)
      1.      Nationals from the following countries are required to submit a medical check-up report including the examination for tuberculosis issued from their neighborhood public health center:
      2.      (35 countries) China, Sri Lanka, Russia, Uzbekistan, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Nepal, East Timor, Indonesia, Pakistan, Mongolia, Bangladesh, the Philippines, Myanmar, Cambodia, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Laos, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Moldova, Nigeria, South Africa, Ethiopia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Angola, Peru, Papua New Guinea
    14. 7. Additonal documents for each program
      1.      - Bachelor's, Master's, Doctor's Degree: Documents proving the final level of education(ex. high school diploma), Financial Statement(=tuition fee and finance for stay for a year)
      2.      - Exchange Students: Documents proving personal finance for stay(considering the tuition is paid in the country of origin), Recommendation letter issued by the head of your home university, Documents proving that you are an exchange student, Documents proving that you have completed at least one semester in your home university
      3.      - Research Program: Documents proving your final level of education(ex. master’s degree diploma), Documents proving funds for stay(Bank account statement, Research Allowance Confirmation, etc.), Confirmation of International Researcher(in replacement of Certificate of Admission)